Friday, October 30, 2009

All is Well
Timing is a funny thing. I am not always sure I can find the lessons hidden in life's adversity. A couple of weeks ago I came down with a pesky cough that I just couldn't kick. Last weekend, Laura brought our son, Micah, into the world. By then I was quarantined in my house to make sure to the wife and kids were safe. I was able to muster the strength to drive to the hospital, watch Laura give birth (she was amazing) and head back home. Later that day I found out that I had the H1N1 flu virus. The first week of Micah's life was spent at my family's house while I hovered back and forth between a 100 and 103 degree fever.
I got to talk to my family over the phone and occasionally see him over video chat or through a window. I felt like one moment I was witnessing a beautiful miracle and the next I was struggling with one of the worst illnesses I've ever had. I missed a lot: my kids' first reaction to their baby brother, holding him close in my arms, and all the family celebration over him. Anyway, God finds a way to get my attention despite (or, because of) my circumstances. I come out of this knowing that He is good; not just good...amazing! I am so thankful to Him for a healthy son...take a look:

We have much to be thankful for!

No comments: